Search in this section
Instructions for completely automating the order process for S/MIME certificates. In our example we are using the GlobalSign - PersonalSign Class 1 product.
S/MIME certificates are intended for encryption and signing of emails. At this time InterNetX offers S/MIME products from Globalsign.
Contact Create (400201)
To be able to order a S/MIME certificate, a technical and administrative contact is required. These must be created beforehand and can then be used for future orders. In case one or more contacts is already present, you can skip this step and use the contact for future tasks.
Ordering a S/MIME Certificate
Certificate Create (400101)
The actual order for the certificate is accomplished with the CertificateCreate (400101) task. Certain attributes must be set:
- Certificate Type: The attribute MAIL must be used for S/MIME certificates.
- Admin: ID of the administrative contact.
- Name: The name of the certificate. For S/MIME an email address is used.
- Product: Value of the Product. For our example, GLOBALSIGN_PERSONALSIGN_1 has to be used.
- First Name: First name
- Last Name: Last name
- Term: Desired certificate runtime. Globalsign offers a term of 12 or 36 months for S/MIME certificates at this time.
- Password: Password to be used to download the S/MIME certificate from Globalsign.
- Organisational Unit: A value such as "marketing department".
- CSR: Value which indicates whether an own CSR is used. The XML tag <has_csr> must be set to true.
Inquire (0905) and confirm (0906) Poll Messages
By using the CertificateCreate task a job is automatically generated which takes care of the certificate order. As soon as the job is completed, a poll message is generated which needs to be inquired with the PollInfo (0905) task. The poll message contains information about the job. If the job was successful, the ID of the ordered certificate is returned. The job then has to be confirmed with the PollConfirm (0906) task.
Inquire Certificate Information (400104)
The CertificateInfo (400104) task displays all the certificate details. The information can inquired by sending the ID from the step Inquire (0905) and Confirm (0906) Poll Messages.
Task Codes and Names
- CertificateCreate (400101)= Orders a certificate
- ContactCreate (400201)= Creates a new contact
- CertificateInfo (400104)= Displays the certificate details
- PollInfo (0905)= Inquires the details of a poll message.
- PollConfirm (0906)= Confirms a poll message.